Sharing fabric cuttings with my worldwide friends

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Saturday Sewing

My quilt "guild" tries to have one full Saturday a month where we can get together and sew our own projects. We use a meeting room at an area library and we can sew from 10am thru till about 6pm although you can come and go when you want.

Today was one of those days. Last night there was the potential for snow overnight and into this morning. I really really wanted to get out and sew with my friends so decided to use some reverse psychology and not get everything fully packed and ready last night. It worked and there was only a light dusting of snow so after I finished packing up my machine and fabrics this morning off I went.

For me, it was a productive day and I got four block of the months sewn (with more cut out) as well as the week two civil war block. Of course I also got lots of chatting done.


Our December Block of the Month (to be handed in at the first meeting next week) was this little (4" finished) paper foundation pieced tree. Everyone knows that green is my favorite so of course I could not make just the one. I have foundations printed to make a few more if I have the time before Tuesday night.


And this is the block for January. It is an 8" finished block named North Winds. I have lots more of the small triangles cut out so perhaps at the Friday Bee this week I'll get some more of these blocks sewn.

For this year the way our BOM works is that a block pattern is chosen and posted each month. Color choices are noted. Anyone who wants can make one or more blocks and bring them along to the meeting. Then we have a draw and one person goes home with the pile of all the blocks. (In the happy circumstance that we would have lots and lots of blocks there might be more than one winner).Jane, the member who is in charge of BOM this year, is trying to use it as a teaching experience. Each month she chooses a different construction style; e.g. December was paper foundation piecing, January is about sewing together triangles that have the points cut off (to help with lining up).

I also intended to make a couple more of the blocks for our March Retreat but I did not get to those. I guess I can put that fabric in the bag to work on at the Friday Bee too.

Do you have a BOM in your quilt group?

cheers

No comments: