Sharing fabric cuttings with my worldwide friends

Friday, March 11, 2011

Block Making



Today we had our Friday Bee as we do every second and fourth Friday of the month. Generally we all work on our own projects but sometimes someone mentions a specific thing and many of us will work on that.

For today I decided to make a couple of blocks for the "Just One Star" challenge that Moda fabrics has issued. They are calling for 1800 pieced star blocks to be sent to them for assembly into 100 quilts using the "Flag of Valor" pattern designed by Minick and Simpson. You can get all the details by going here The finished quilts will be assembled and given to US soldiers injured in the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts.

I decided to make a couple; one in each colorway. We had some discussion about the color choices noted on the Moda site as they ask for medium red or medium blue (just what makes a medium red we wondered). Once I remember to sign them, the blocks will be ready to send off.

Our guild , like many, also does Block of the Month. While I was away this past weekend at our Retreat I worked on the February and March blocks. The purple fan block was for February and I won the blocks back on Tuesday night - there were only six blocks made and I am embarrassed that everyone saw I was less than thrilled to win them. However, with our auction coming up my friend Gayle offered to turn those six blocks into at least a finished top and then it will be a donation for the auction. She worked on that at the Bee today after we chose suitable fabrics to sash and border the blocks with.


The March BOM is a Spinning Pinwheel. We were asked to make them in bright cheerful colors so that was a fun block to make on a grey day.


As I currently have two major long term projects underway it is good to be able to sit down and start and finish something in just an hour or so.

No comments: