Sharing fabric cuttings with my worldwide friends

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Block 44 Star of Hope - The Rights of Women

For a change this week the block told the story of the battle for women's' rights in another country - France.

It was a fresh new read for me to hear about Olympe de Gouges in the year 1791. Her execution in 1793 set back the rights of women in that country for many long decades until women were finally granted the right to vote in 1944.

 I wanted to make the center of the block be something that said "France" but I was somewhat constricted by the fabrics to hand. Today was one of those days when my quilt group gathered for an all day sew together and my friend Virginia validated the use of this center fabric motif as being absolutely appropriate to represent a fleur de lis.

This is a block that I am not totally happy with but for now...it is going to have to do.

Last week I did not have a posed photo so there was increased personal pressure to be sure that I had one this week. It was a bit of a scramble but I'm hoping that these images of French women will mark this block as having a French heritage.

After I got done with my block this afternoon I worked on cutting and stitching more borders for my blocks as we hurtle towards being done with the weekly blocks. I had thought I was well on the way but a quick count showed that I had 20 blocks bordered. H'mm, with a total of 49 blocks in this project it was pretty clear I need to get moving. After borders come sashing strips. The plan is there but the progress is not quite equal. Seven more block got bordered this afternoon.

Hope has not been abandoned as I am scheduled to be at our guild three day retreat on the weekend of July 20th and this will be the #1 project to work on at that time. Meanwhile I have a good plan and I have sourced my fabric and embellishments.

It's all good.

1 comment:

Cheryl K. said...

Not to add pressure to what you self-impose, it is nice to see what you came up with for this block. Nice work with the feminine themes to the prints!