Sharing fabric cuttings with my worldwide friends

Monday, October 15, 2012

In a Retreat State of Mind

Coming up this weekend is our guild three day retreat. We have three a year - two of them are what we call "no frills".

No frills means we rent the conference room in a local hotel and set up there for three entire days of sewing fun with friends. No meals or accommodations are provided as part of the retreat fee but you can decide to take a room at the hotel and sleep over for that "away from home experience" but if you'd rather sleep in your own bed then you can go home each night and it is just short drive. There is a snack table set up for which we are all expected to bring something but all meals are also up to us to independently organize. There's lots of restaurants nearby or you can phone up and have food delivered or maybe, to save money, bring food from home.

Lots of sewing gets done, lots of laughs are had and if you don't know how to proceed on your project, why then we'll tell you what to do next! Perhaps because of that last item the two ladies in charge of the retreat decided that the theme this time is "it takes a village to make a quilt". In our handout folder, which we get in advance, were instructions on how to make the retreat block. The idea is that you can make one or two or however many blocks you want (even none if you choose) and bring them to retreat. For each block you make and hand in you put your name on a slip of paper and put it in for the draw. On Sunday afternoon several names are drawn to receive sets of blocks - the number of winners depends on the number of blocks made.

I have made three blocks to take along. While I was making them I thought, well, these are fun to make but I don't really know what I'd do with them if I won them. But this afternoon I had a lightbulb moment and I know precisely what I could do with them. But, until I find out if I am a winner I better not get too excited about it; I don't have a very good track record on winning the retreat blocks.





 The block is based on a pattern by Bonnie K. Hunter (we have her permission to use the pattern) and we were instructed to make the houses bright. Do you think I obeyed the instruction?

In the next couple of days I need to sort out what projects I'm going to take along. Of course my bag of fabrics for the Grandmothers Choice project will be going with me so I can do this weeks block - I'm not sure that I will be able to post the result of that until I get home again. But there is a long list of other current projects that I need to choose from to potentially work on.

If you have never been on a retreat then you are missing out on a lot of fun.

1 comment:

Cheryl K. said...

I'm hoping you win so we can see your idea about what to do with these!