Sharing fabric cuttings with my worldwide friends

Monday, April 8, 2013

Dixie Diary - Month Four

This block is for the Dixie Diary block of the month that Barabara Brackman is posting on her Civil War blog each month.


Although the block directions are given to make the block in either a 12" or 8" size I am scaling them down and working on making them a 6" finished block.  Each block is meant to be completed by the addition of an appliqued heart or star in the center of the block. So far I have not added the applique as I am not yet decided on how to set my blocks (straight or on point). But for this block, adding that center applique seems to take out whatever fabric square was put at the center.

In looking on the flickr site at what others are doing I note that some are like me and still undecided. But today I had an idea that, while following the heart/star concept, would not block out portions of the block. Before I say any more I think I might try the idea out on one of my "extra" blocks - you know, the ones that you make and think "bleh, that doesn't look as good as I thought it would" and consign to the bottom of the pile and then go back and select different fabrics for "take two".

Watch this space as they say.

2 comments:

Cheryl K. said...

That's very pretty pink stripe! and more effective in a 6 inch than a 12 inch block by far! Your hints about a different way to do the applique are intriguing - curious minds want to know!!

pinkdeenster said...

I am curious now, too! Do tell! I am really liking you color way for this. The pink and gray are so pretty...even if it is a bit different for you.