Sharing fabric cuttings with my worldwide friends

Monday, March 25, 2013

A photo finish

If you have been reading this blog for a while you will recall the Civil War block of the week project that I followed along with in 2011. It was created by quilt historian Barbara Brackman - currently she is writing the Grandmother's Choice blog which I also am working on and posting about each week.

My blocks from the Civil War project were all put together late last summer but the top was only finally quilted in January this year.

I thought you might like to see the finished project.
As you may remember I am calling my quilt "The Blues and The Greys". The repetitive parallel quilting lines in the setting blocks are intended to give a "uniform" look to the piece. The sampler blocks are all individually quilted.

My boys and I had "fun" yesterday trying to photograph it. I had looked out the window and commented that it was a still day with an overcast sky and thus a good opportunity to take quilt photos outside. Hah! Just try erecting a stand with a 96" x 96" quilt on it and the wind will arrive. First we had a backdrop with a larger black drape. Then the stand with the quilt was in front.  I was standing behind  the camera ready t press the shutter when I saw the whole thing start to teeter. Despite my cry of dismay my helper just stood and watched while both frames toppled over. He was mighty lucky that the deck railing prevented everything from falling in the wet dirt below the deck!

Given the challenges, I am hoping you will excuse the ripple on the lower edge where the breeze was working against me.

All in all I think this quilt turned out well despite the fact that it has no designated purpose. It was a great pleasure to work along with the project each week. And it was good practice for the Grandmothers Choice project I am working on now. Whew, just a little pressure each week whether it be to find just the right fabric to fussy cut or how to construct a seven pointed star and have all those points line up in the center.

Life is meant to have a few challenges in it...right?

4 comments:

Sheila said...

a brilliant finish Dorrie, love everything about your quilt, colours, quilting and name all perfec t

Pip said...

I have to agree with Sheila, every thing about your quilt is perfectly beautiful, well worth the wait to see the finished quilt. I love your quilting, it really makes the sampler blocks stand out.

Cheryl K. said...

Your quilter really did a great job on this - it's large and that's simply a lot of ruler work, just in the setting blocks. But her treatment of the sampler blocks is equally impressive. Nice to have it done - and there will be a use for it, it just hasn't revealed itself to you!

pinkdeenster said...

This is gorgeous, and so well done.