Sharing fabric cuttings with my worldwide friends

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Week 22 Blockade



After my marathon effort last week when I got all caught up here I am several days late in sewing this weeks block. Oh well.

The lesson for this week indeed is seams and pressing as mentioned in Cheryl's blog. At one stage this afternoon as I passed through the kitchen someone asked was I making progress. Oh yes, I replied, for every three seams I sew I unpick (rip out) one. But it rapidly became for every seam I sew I redo it three times.

For color selection I saw this one as being the Union surrounding the Confederates. Thus while most participants were making the center four triangles the same fabrics as the outer four I wanted to have confederate grey in the center with the union blue on the outer edge holding them in with the snake - I am a tiny bit out of order by making the snake grey but it is important to the block to make that on point effect with pale colors. And, since my plan all along has been to make the block using the directions given by BB, I could not substitute those pieced triangles for a single piece of fabric as others have done.

Oh and let me tell you this is not the most perfect sized of my blocks. Plus I had to indulge in the little clipping trick on the seams on the reverse side. But I have a finished block!

And here it is:

1 comment:

Cheryl K. said...

Looks great from here - mad for that plaid! I attribute little or no significance to the colors in mine - I just ask myself, do I like this combination and have I used enough blue for brother Roger's taste? There are a couple of blocks that, in retrospect, I don't like as well, but they'll probably work in the grand finale.
I did not have to resew any of these seams more than .... well... twice? The three-time pain was a week or two ago for me and I can't even remember now which block it was. (probably better to forget) But there are a lot of triangle points coming together with this one, and somehow, the design did not predict the struggle!