Sharing fabric cuttings with my worldwide friends

Monday, July 30, 2012

Watch this space for a new project!

Grandmother's Choice - The Saturday Morning Post is the title of the new block of the week to be blog /published by Barbara Brackman beginning September 1, 2012. In 2011 I followed eagerly along on Barbara's Civil War block of the week and really enjoyed the challenge of keeping up with making a block a week. When the new concept, To Recall the Fight for Women's Rights (women's suffrage) was announced earlier this year I was pretty soon sure I would be starting this new project.

This past Saturday Barbara posted about potential color schemes for this project (you can see her blog at www.grandmotherschoice.blogspot.com) and I was off and running in my head with ideas. Being a proud New Zealander (New Zealand women were the very first to be granted the right to vote) I decided that my color scheme should in some way reflect my heritage. If you go look at the posting on color schemes you will see that one of the first ones mentioned is purple, green and white which were the colors adopted by the movement in England.

In New Zealand the movement adopted the white camellia bloom as their emblem (white flower with a gorgeous, glossy green leaf) while also acknowledging the standard bearer colors of purple and gold. My thinking for now (admittedly before the first block is even posted) is to have a green and white color scheme with highlights of purple and golden yellow.

So when I walked into our church on Sunday morning and noticed right away the flower arrangements (we don't have flowers every Sunday - perhaps there was a wedding or a baptism this weekend) I thought it was a message as to what my color scheme should be.






I'm sorry the photo is a little blurry but I could not take the picture yesterday during Mass and when I went back this morning the flowers were obviously past their best and the lights were not on. But I'm sure you can see that the color scheme is white, green and purple (lilac).

Watch this space. In the meantime I am off fabric shopping for just the right white fabric to use as my main fabric to appear in every block. This time I will purchase four or five yards to avoid the problem of running out mid project as happened on my Civil War project.

Will you be joining in on this new "block of the week"? Oh, go on, it will be fun!

2 comments:

Pip said...

I took part in the BOW last year, it was a lot of fun. Good idea to get enough fabric early so you don't run out, I'm thinking of using the same colours and incorporating some gray as well.

Cheryl K. said...

Well, you're ahead of me in that you have a color scheme. I've just sent my reminder to my potential recipient family... if they don't come up with an answer and it's up to me well... perhaps I have to take all my stash out of the drawers and figure one out?