Sharing fabric cuttings with my worldwide friends

Saturday, May 3, 2014

TOM 4 Canada Star for Lucie Blackburn

I have only just remembered that I have not put last week's Threads of Memory block here on the blog. Oops.

I am trying to get used to a new camera and the technolgy that goes with it - this is a steep learning curve for me!

When this block came out last week I was away at a quilt retreat. Once the block was finished I'm not really sure if I like those four grey squares but, for now, this is my block four. In reality the dark fabric of the star points shows better. 

That solid grey I am using in all the blocks? If I had realized the challenges of photographing it when I started I may have chosen another fabric. But I also understand that everyone has their computer monitors set differently which accounts for one person in the flickr group who keeps commenting that she loves my purple block. The pale grey floral fabric that I have used here to frame the center star was originally going to be the background fabric that I used in every block for this project until I switched my plan to the solid grey.  

Additionally, remember that I am going to be setting my blocks on point so the little bird will not be running uphill as it is here!

For my fun shot I had to accent the Canada portion of the story. My dear Canadian friend Rhonda has contributed most of the items in this setup - you just have to smile at those owls she made for me. Thanks Rhonda!

Does anyone else find themselves second guessing their color/fabric plan at this point in a project? Or am I more of a perennial ditherer than most of you?

2 comments:

Cheryl K. said...

I have to ask about that red and white maple leaf you have set up as your backdrop. Is that a yard of quilting weight fabric? I'm jealous - it would have gone perfectly with the other fabrics I am using and made my block read "Oh Canada" in the most joyful way! Your block is, as usual striking. Thoroughly modern with the whimsical little bird and that particular shade of green and grey. I also think yours is one of the rare successful examples of this block. We saw more than a few examples where the star got lost.

Rhonda said...

I'm glad you like the Owls! Now you know why I was looking for Argyle fabrics.

Cheryl, do you want some Canadian maple leaf fabric?